Welcome! Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Museum
Through several excavations, at Dongsam-dong site, various fishes, shell fish and bones from animal including the comb-patterned pottery, stoneware, bone tools, mud-pottery, jewelry etc. were excavated. And also with an excavation examination of Busan Museum the oldest millet was found in the Korean peninsula. And a lot of Jomon Pottery and obsidian which shows the interchange relations between Neolithic period of Korea and Japan were excavated. Therefore it proved again it was an important remain to find out about the characteristics of Neolithic culture of Korea.
Therefore Busan museum opened the Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Remains and its’ excavated artifacts, which are the representative artifacts of Neolithic Age, and tried to use these as a living educational place. For these Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Exhibition Hall was opened as a specialized museum on April 24, 2002.
Although this is a small sized exhibition hall, Busan museum shall try hard to display as much as we can while showing the history and culture of Neolithic period in Korea through Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Exhibition Hall.
- 1929 Japanese “OIgawa( teacher at Donrae Highschool)”first found the site.
- 1930Japanese “Yokohama(the professor at Gyeongseong Imperial University)” excavated and examined twice.
- 1932Oigawa, a member of Busan archeology association, excavated and examined twice.
- 1963 ~ 1964Partial Excavation and Examination by American “Moore”(Wisconsin University)
- 1963 ~ 19713 Times Excavation and Examination by National Central Museum
- Jul 26, 1979Designated as a Historical Site No.266
- Dec 1998 ~ Dec. 1999Development Construction of Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Remains
- May 1999 ~ Aug 1999Excavation and Examination by Busan Museum(Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Remains Development Area)
- Apr 24, 2002Opened Dongsam-dong Shell Midden Exhibition Hall
- Nov. 2004 ~ Dec. 2004Excavation and Examination by Gyeongseong University Museum(Taejeongdae Entry Way Expansion Construction Section)
- Jun. 2005 ~ Jul. 2005Excavation and Survey by Donga University Museum(Taejeongdae Entry Way Sidewalk section)
- Apr. 2006 ~ Aug. 2006Donga University Museum, Underwater Mark and Prospecting Examination by Costal Resource Research Institute