This shrine is dedicated to those patriotic Korean fighters who died resisting the Japanese aggressors during the Japanese Invasion of Korea (1592-1598).
The Japanese invasion was an aggressive war that was designed by Hideyosi Toyotomi, who had unified the feudal domains of Japan, to satisfy his desire for territorial expansion and political stability. At that time, unprepared Korean troops, joined by volunteers, fought and died heroically in battles against the numerically superior Japanese troops who were armed with advanced matchlock guns.
In 1605 (the 38th year of King Seonjo’s reign), the Songgongsa (Shrine) was built at the South Gate of Dongnae Fortress by the Governor of Dongnae, Yun Hwon, in memory of Song Sang-hyeon. Another noted fighter, Jeong Bal, was enshrined there in 1624 (the 2nd year of King lnjo's reign), and it was officially named Chungnyeolsa (Shrine) at the proposal of Lee Min-gu. In 1652 (the 3rd year of the reign of King Hyojong), Chungnyeolsa was moved to where it stands today. A lecture hall and several dormitories, called Allakseowon, were built to facilitate the handing down of the ancestors' loyalty and scholarship. Thus, this shrine served not only as a shrine, but also as a lecture hall.
In 1709 (the 35th year of the reign of King Sukjong), an auxiliary shrine was built at the original place of Songgongsa in memory of those who perished together with Governor Song Sang-hyeon and General Jeong Bal. Those enshrined in the auxiliary shrine were: Jo Yeonggyu, No Gae-bang, Mun Deok-gyeom, Yang Jo-han, Song Bong-su, Kim Hui-su, Shin Yeo-ro, Song Baek, and Kim Sang. In 1736 (the 12th year of the reign of King Yeongjo), those to whom the auxiliary shrine was dedicated were also enshrined at Chungnyeolsa. In 1772 (the 48th year of the reign of King Yeongjo), Yun Heung-shin, the General of Dadae, was also enshrined here. A tablet hall was also built in the same year, outside the East Gate, in memory of Geumseom and Aehyang, who were killed after the death of Governor Song Sang-hyeon and General Jeong Bal.
Chungnyeolsa has been repaired several times since then and now sits on a site of about 95,119 square meters with a main hall and 17 subsidiary structures. It also has memorial tablets of 93 patriots who lost their lives defending Busan. To celebrate their patriotism, a memorial ceremony is held annually on May 25.