- The Mayor: Mr. Jorge Castro Muñoz
- Location: Pacific region
- Population: 280,000
- Area: 326.3km²
- Climate: Mediterranean (mild, distinctive dry and rainy season)
Summer (December to March): dry, 10°C ~ 30°C
Winter (June to September): rainy, 3°C ~ 10°C
- Department: Departamento de Turismo
- Address: Municipalidad de Valparaiso, Chile
- Phone: 56-32-939-491/492 / Fax : 56-32-258-693
- Website: http://www.municipalidaddevalparaiso.cl
At a Glance
Valparaiso, the main port of Chile, was discovered in 1536 and has a long history. The city is the home of the National Congress and the Chilean Navy.
As the center of administrative service, Valparaiso has 45 hills and possesses a unique atmosphere with these hills, which make up 95 percent of the city. With its abundant natural resources, main trade items are copper, fruit, gas, petroleum and grains, and the local economy is mainly related to the port industry.
The international exchanges between Busan and Valparaiso are focused on trade and sister school exchanges between Fisheries Universities.
Mr. Ahn Sang-young, Mayor of Busan and Mr. Hernan Pinto Miranda, Mayor of Valparaiso signed a joint agreement on the establishment of sister relationship in Valparaiso, on January 27, 1999.